Welcome to the University of Utah Postdoctoral Association
Welcome to the Utah Postdoctoral Association (UPDA)! The UPDA is an independent advocacy organization started by, run by, and operated for the postdocs at the University of Utah. As a postdoc here, you are automatically a member of the UPDA. For more details on who we are and how to get involved, see our ABOUT US page.
We work closely with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at the University of Utah, which is an institutional member of the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA). This membership entitles all postdocs at the University of Utah access to NPA resources. Visit the National Postdoctoral Association website to create an account and access these resources.
Check out Upcoming Events for full details.
Virtual Lunch & Learn – Impostor Syndrome
If you feel fret about your competence at work or feel the need to be ‘perfect’ all the time, please join us virtually to hear from Dr. Laura Hunter from the University of Arizona about how to recognize and deal with impostor syndrome.
Wednesday, July 15, 12-1pm through ZOOM.
Please register here.
- Call for volunteers
In an effort to reach out to all the 524 of us across the U campus, and to encourage our involvement with postdoc activities and postdoc-centric efforts, the UPDA is proud to announce the initiation of Postdoc Working Committees (PWCs) – small teams actively working toward common goals.
As part of a PWC, you can engage actively with UPDA Board members who share your vision, and work in smaller teams to directly impact postdoctoral experience at the U. And you can do all this remotely, with in-person meetings scheduled only on an ad hoc basis.
Have you thought about getting more involved in the Utah postdoc community, but were waiting for something you’re really passionate about? We are now reaching out to you, the postdoc community, to join these committees:
- The Advocacy Committee will represent postdoc needs, specifically those related to human resources, including benefits and salary, and experience issues including mentoring, inclusion and counseling, especially those that require interaction with the university administration.
- Be part of the Social Committee and channel your creativity and curiosity into planning exciting social events and activities for postdocs. Other than gaining or expanding those coveted organizational skills, you may just be able to appreciate great conversations and ideas with different kinds of individuals, and make great connections — perhaps find your future collaborator? And, of course, arrange it at your favorite coffee shop or hiking trail!
- The Outreach Committee will work to increase the visibility and utility of UPDA to postdocs across campus. We will work closely with the Communications Committee to ensure our messaging reaches all postdocs and we will work with board leadership to ensure that our activities and services are widely accessible and used.
- Come join our Communications Team if you’re interested in honing your communication skills, which can be valuable tools within and outside academia. Help the UPDA keep the postdoctoral community updated with the latest opportunities and gain verifiable experience as a webmaster or social media coordinator.
- The Professional Development Events Committee will plan events to benefit postdocs in their professional development, a central role of the UPDA. Join us if you are interested in programming, have ideas for events, or want to get more involved in professional development activities.
If you are interested in joining one or more of these committees, or have any questions, please write to us at email@example.com. Come join these value-driven teams today and positively impact the postdoc experience!
Get Involved! Join the UPDA Board
Interested in becoming more involved? We are looking for new board members! Contact us with any questions.
Our next Board Meeting : July 10th 12:00-1:00 pm through ZOOM.
Meeting schedule for the rest of 2020:
August 7, 12-1pm, through ZOOM
September 4, 12-1pm, through ZOOM
October 2, 12-1pm, through ZOOM
November 6, 12-1pm, through ZOOM
December 4, 12-1pm, through ZOOM