Welcome to the University of Utah Postdoctoral Association
Welcome to the Utah Postdoctoral Association (UPDA)! The UPDA is an independent advocacy organization started by, run by, and operated for the postdocs at the University of Utah. As a postdoc here, you are automatically a member of the UPDA. For more details on who we are and how to get involved, see our ABOUT page.
We work closely with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at the University of Utah, which is an institutional member of the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA). This membership entitles all postdocs at the University of Utah access to NPA resources. Visit the National Postdoctoral Association website to create an account and access these resources.
Check out Upcoming Events for full details.
- How to find funding opportunities? What are the best practices for getting started with a grant application? Who on campus postdocs can contact with funding questions? Please join us for our August Lunch & Learn panel on “Preparing for Postdoctoral Fellowships & Grants“. The speakers will be Jan Abramson, MS, Sponsored Projects Officer, Office of Sponsored Projects, Peter Kraus, Associate Librarian, Marriott Library, University of Utah, Gary Schoenwolf, Distinguished Professor & Experienced Grant Writer and Kami McNeill, Research Manager, Pre-award, Eccles Institute of Human Genetics, University of Utah. The event will be held from 12:00- 1:00 pm on Friday August 17th, 2018 in HSEB 2680. Pizza will be provided! If you plan to attend, please RSVP by Wednesday 15th of August so that we can ensure we have just enough food.
- National Postdoc Appreciation week is September 17-21, 2018. We have a myriad of fun and professional events planned to show postdocs how much they are appreciated! Further information and schedule can be found at the Postdoc Appreciation week page.
- The last Coffee & Bagels with a Mentor was an opportunity to interact with Dr. Morrison, a former University of Utah postdoc who recently started a position as a research and development scientist at ARUP Laboratories. She has agreed to share her presentation as a resource for postdoc who could not attend.
- Congratulations to the 2018 UPDA Photo Contest winners, who got $50 Amazon gift cards! See all the pictures of the contest on our Facebook page.
1st Place: Casey Hemmis for “Cairns”
2nd Place: Jeffery Vahrenkamp for “Lighting on the Lake”
3rd Place: Enrique Balderas for “Autumn”
- Congratulations to the Postdoc Appreciation Week Winners!
1st Place: Natalia Torres, CVRTI , “Excitation-Contraction Coupling in the Absence of Insulin Receptors in the Mouse Heart”
2nd Place: Salah Sommakia, CVRTI: “Mitochondrial Cardiomyopathies Feature Enhanced Mitochondrial Calcium Signaling”
Tie for the 3rd Place : Adam Hanley, College of Social Work”Does Mindfulness Meditation Change the Self?”
and Malini Rajan, Human Genetics “Nuclear Hormone Receptor-14 Integrates Iron Uptake and Innate Immunity in Caenorhabditis Elegans through PQM-1 Signaling”
Postdoc Pitches Competition
1st Place: Gaelle Batot, Biochemistry, “Working Toward a Cure for HIV”
- Membership for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
The University of Utah has now obtained an Institutional Membership for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD). The NCFDD is a nationally-recognized, independent organization that provides online career development and mentoring resources for faculty, graduate students, and post-doctoral students. Because the University of Utah is now an institutional member, our graduate students, post-doctoral students, and faculty now have access to a large variety of programs, services and resources at no cost. To learn more about the resources offered and how to register, please see the NCFDD New Membership flyer.
Get Involved! Join the UPDA Board
Interested in becoming more involved? We are looking for new board members! Our board meetings are the first Friday of every month, from 12:00 – 1:00 pm in HSEB 5100D. Contact us with any questions.
Our next Board Meeting: September 7th at noon in HSEB 5100D!