Welcome to the University of Utah Postdoctoral Association
Welcome to the Utah Postdoctoral Association (UPDA)! The UPDA is an independent advocacy organization started by, run by, and operated for the postdocs at the University of Utah. As a postdoc here, you are automatically a member of the UPDA. For more details on who we are and how to get involved, see our ABOUT page.
We work closely with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at the University of Utah, which is an institutional member of the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA). This membership entitles all postdocs at the University of Utah access to NPA resources. Visit the National Postdoctoral Association website to create an account and access these resources.
Check out Upcoming Events for full details.
- The best way to create job opportunities for yourself is through your professional network? But where to start? How to meet new people and create meaningful connections? How to build a network that benefits you and your connections? Join us on our June Postdoc Lunch & Learn on “How to create your own network”. We will be joined by Mary Anne Berzins to find out ways you can work smarter, not harder, at building the network you need. The event will be held from 12:00- 1:00 pm on Wednesday June 13th, 2018 in HSEB 2680. Pizza will be provided! If you plan to attend, please RSVP so that we can ensure we have just enough food.
- SUMMER BBQ! The University of Utah Postdoctoral Association (UPDA) with support of the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs will be kicking off the summer with our annual cookout (or BBQ depending on where you’re from) at Sunnyside Park (1735 E Sunnyside Avenue) on Friday June 15th from 5:00-7:00 pm. Family members are encouraged to attend. In order to make sure we have neither too little nor excessive food please help us plan by filling in the RSVP.
- UPDA Photo contest on going! Submit your photo(s) by 5 p.m. on May 17, 2018 to email@example.com accompanied by signed release form(s) !
- Congratulations to the Postdoc Appreciation Week Winners!
1st Place: Natalia Torres, CVRTI , “Excitation-Contraction Coupling in the Absence of Insulin Receptors in the Mouse Heart”
2nd Place: Salah Sommakia, CVRTI: “Mitochondrial Cardiomyopathies Feature Enhanced Mitochondrial Calcium Signaling”
Tie for the 3rd Place : Adam Hanley, College of Social Work”Does Mindfulness Meditation Change the Self?”
and Malini Rajan, Human Genetics “Nuclear Hormone Receptor-14 Integrates Iron Uptake and Innate Immunity in Caenorhabditis Elegans through PQM-1 Signaling”
Postdoc Pitches Competition
1st Place: Gaelle Batot, Biochemistry, “Working Toward a Cure for HIV”
- Congratulations to the 2017 UPDA Photo Contest winners! See all the pictures of the contest on our Facebook page.
1st Place: Enrique Balderas for “Traverse”
2nd Place: Raziye Mohammadpour for “Valentine Kiss (KB Cancer Cells Under Confocal Microscope)”
Tie for 3rd Place: Tie Jiban Saikia for “Snow and the City”
and Gaëlle Batot for “Life Outside of Lab: Backcountry Skiing”
- Membership for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
The University of Utah has now obtained an Institutional Membership for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD). The NCFDD is a nationally-recognized, independent organization that provides online career development and mentoring resources for faculty, graduate students, and post-doctoral students. Because the University of Utah is now an institutional member, our graduate students, post-doctoral students, and faculty now have access to a large variety of programs, services and resources at no cost. To learn more about the resources offered and how to register, please see the NCFDD New Membership flyer.
Get Involved! Join the UPDA Board
Interested in becoming more involved? We are looking for new board members! Our board meetings are the first Friday of every month, from 12:00 – 1:00 pm in HSEB 5100A. Contact us with any questions.
Our next Board Meeting: June 1st at noon in HSEB 5100A!