Welcome to the University of Utah Postdoctoral Association
Welcome to the Utah Postdoctoral Association (UPDA)! The UPDA is an independent advocacy organization started by, run by, and operated for the postdocs at the University of Utah. As a postdoc here, you are automatically a member of the UPDA. For more details on who we are and how to get involved, see our ABOUT page.
We work closely with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at the University of Utah, which is an institutional member of the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA). This membership entitles all postdocs at the University of Utah access to NPA resources. Visit the National Postdoctoral Association website to create an account and access these resources.
Check out Upcoming Events for full details.
- Our third and last Winter Workshop will be hold on February 28th 2018, from 3 to 5 pm, HSEB 4100D. David Derezotes will lead the workshop on “How to transform difficult conversations about race, gender, religion and politics into opportunities for transforming industry and research groups into inclusive communities”. Please join us for this interactive training that provides tools to learn how to transform difficult conversations into learning opportunities to build an inclusive work environment. Register here and more information here.
- Congratulations to the Postdoc Appreciation Week Winners!
1st Place: Natalia Torres, CVRTI , “Excitation-Contraction Coupling in the Absence of Insulin Receptors in the Mouse Heart”
2nd Place: Salah Sommakia, CVRTI: “Mitochondrial Cardiomyopathies Feature Enhanced Mitochondrial Calcium Signaling”
Tie for the 3rd Place : Adam Hanley, College of Social Work”Does Mindfulness Meditation Change the Self?”
and Malini Rajan, Human Genetics “Nuclear Hormone Receptor-14 Integrates Iron Uptake and Innate Immunity in Caenorhabditis Elegans through PQM-1 Signaling”
Postdoc Pitches Competition
1st Place: Gaelle Batot, Biochemistry, “Working Toward a Cure for HIV”
- Congratulations to the 2017 UPDA Photo Contest winners! See all the pictures of the contest on our Facebook page.
1st Place: Enrique Balderas for “Traverse”
2nd Place: Raziye Mohammadpour for “Valentine Kiss (KB Cancer Cells Under Confocal Microscope)”
Tie for 3rd Place: Tie Jiban Saikia for “Snow and the City”
and Gaëlle Batot for “Life Outside of Lab: Backcountry Skiing”
- Membership for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
The University of Utah has now obtained an Institutional Membership for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD). The NCFDD is a nationally-recognized, independent organization that provides online career development and mentoring resources for faculty, graduate students, and post-doctoral students. Because the University of Utah is now an institutional member, our graduate students, post-doctoral students, and faculty now have access to a large variety of programs, services and resources at no cost. To learn more about the resources offered and how to register, please see the NCFDD New Membership flyer.
- Grand Rounds: Research Reproducibility
From September 12th, 2017 to April 24th, 2018, the savvy librarians at the Eccles Health Sciences Library will host Grand Rounds for Research Reproducibility with weekly Grand Rounds, a short course and a Conference: Building Research Integrity Through Reproducibility on June 15th, 2018. For more information, check their website!
Get Involved! Join the UPDA Board
Interested in becoming more involved? We are looking for new board members! Our board meetings are the first Friday of every month, from 12:00 – 1:00 pm in HSEB 5100A. Contact us with any questions.
Our next Board Meeting: March 2nd at noon in HSEB 5100A!