Welcome to the University of Utah Postdoctoral Association
Welcome to the Utah Postdoctoral Association (UPDA)! The UPDA is an independent advocacy organization started by, run by, and operated for the postdocs at the University of Utah. As a postdoc here, you are automatically a member of the UPDA. For more details on who we are and how to get involved, see our ABOUT page.
We work closely with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at the University of Utah, which is an institutional member of the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA). This membership entitles all postdocs at the University of Utah access to NPA resources. Visit the National Postdoctoral Association website to create an account and access these resources.
Check out Upcoming Events for full details.
- Do you find it difficult to stay motivated at your working environment? Is it hard to keep positive attitude as a postdoc while hearing from time to time about tight funding, difficult job market, etc. And on top of this it comes the nature of postdoc job – low pay and long hours ? For this and much more please join us for our December Postdoc Lunch & Learn, which will be on motivation. Marry Anne Berzins, an Assistant Vice President of Workforce Planning for Human Resources, will lead this session. She will talk to us about effective strategies to keep you motivated at your working environment. The event will be held from 12:00-1:00 pm on Wednesday, December 6th in HSEB 4100B. Pizza will be provided! RSVP by Monday, December 4th at noon.
- UPDA Holiday Gathering on December 19th, from 5-7 pm in HSEB 2120! This event is an opportunity to socialize with your fellow postdocs and to celebrate this winter season. Please come with your friends and your favorite Holiday food or drink to share! More information here, and please RSVP here.
- Congratulations to the Postdoc Appreciation Week Winners!
1st Place: Natalia Torres, CVRTI , “Excitation-Contraction Coupling in the Absence of Insulin Receptors in the Mouse Heart”
2nd Place: Salah Sommakia, CVRTI: “Mitochondrial Cardiomyopathies Feature Enhanced Mitochondrial Calcium Signaling”
Tie for the 3rd Place : Adam Hanley, College of Social Work”Does Mindfulness Meditation Change the Self?”
and Malini Rajan, Human Genetics “Nuclear Hormone Receptor-14 Integrates Iron Uptake and Innate Immunity in Caenorhabditis Elegans through PQM-1 Signaling”
Postdoc Pitches Competition
1st Place: Gaelle Batot, Biochemistry, “Working Toward a Cure for HIV”
- Congratulations to the 2017 UPDA Photo Contest winners! See all the pictures of the contest on our Facebook page.
1st Place: Enrique Balderas for “Traverse”
2nd Place: Raziye Mohammadpour for “Valentine Kiss (KB Cancer Cells Under Confocal Microscope)”
Tie for 3rd Place: Tie Jiban Saikia for “Snow and the City”
and Gaëlle Batot for “Life Outside of Lab: Backcountry Skiing”
- Membership for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
The University of Utah has now obtained an Institutional Membership for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD). The NCFDD is a nationally-recognized, independent organization that provides online career development and mentoring resources for faculty, graduate students, and post-doctoral students. Because the University of Utah is now an institutional member, our graduate students, post-doctoral students, and faculty now have access to a large variety of programs, services and resources at no cost. To learn more about the resources offered and how to register, please see the NCFDD New Membership flyer.
- Grand Rounds: Research Reproducibility
From September 12th, 2017 to April 24th, 2018, the savvy librarians at the Eccles Health Sciences Library will host Grand Rounds for Research Reproducibility with weekly Grand Rounds, a short course and a Conference: Building Research Integrity Through Reproducibility on June 15th, 2018. For more information, check their website!
Get Involved! Join the UPDA Board
Interested in becoming more involved? We are looking for new board members! Our board meetings are the first Friday of every month, from 12:00 – 1:00 pm in HSEB 5100A. Contact us with any questions.
Our next Board Meeting: January 5th at noon in HSEB 5100A!