Welcome to the University of Utah Postdoctoral Association
Welcome to the Utah Postdoctoral Association (UPDA)! The UPDA is an independent advocacy organization started by, run by, and operated for the postdocs at the University of Utah. As a postdoc here, you are automatically a member of the UPDA. For more details on who we are and how to get involved, see our ABOUT page.
We work closely with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at the University of Utah, which is an institutional member of the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA). This membership entitles all postdocs at the University of Utah access to NPA resources. Visit the National Postdoctoral Association website to create an account and access these resources.
Check out Upcoming Events for full details.
- Coffee and Bagels with a Mentor, a discussion around genetic experimentation on human embryos with Prof. Dana Carroll
- Thirsty Thursday the last Thursday of every month, next one: January 31st!
- We request your participation in a 5 minute survey to obtain feedback regarding events/resources they have organized for postdocs in the past year. If you are a postdoc and are associated with any University of Utah department/institution, please take the survey before November, 22nd. Your responses will help the UPDA plan their future events and improve the quality of resources available to postdocs across campus.
- Congratulations to the 2018 UPDA Photo Contest winners, who got $50 Amazon gift cards! See all the pictures of the contest on our Facebook page.
1st Place: Casey Hemmis for “Cairns”
2nd Place: Jeffery Vahrenkamp for “Lighting on the Lake”
3rd Place: Enrique Balderas for “Autumn”
- Congratulations to the Postdoc Appreciation Week Winners!
Poster Competition Winners 2018-The first place winner received a $500 travel award! Congratulations!
Enrique Balderas-Angeles, CVRTI
“Complex I Inhibition Enhances Mitochondrial Calcium Uniporter Current”.
Chelsea Herdman, Neurobiology & Anatomy
“Posttranscriptional regulation by miRNAs during heart development”.
Jesica Jacobs, Pathology
“Low affinity CD8+ T cells are associated with the development of cerebral malaria”.
- Membership for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
The University of Utah has now obtained an Institutional Membership for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD). The NCFDD is a nationally-recognized, independent organization that provides online career development and mentoring resources for faculty, graduate students, and post-doctoral students. Because the University of Utah is now an institutional member, our graduate students, post-doctoral students, and faculty now have access to a large variety of programs, services and resources at no cost. To learn more about the resources offered and how to register, please see the NCFDD New Membership flyer.
Get Involved! Join the UPDA Board
Interested in becoming more involved? We are looking for new board members! Our board meetings are the first Friday of every month, from 12:00 – 1:00 pm in HSEB 5100D. Contact us with any questions.
Our next Board Meeting: December 7th at noon in HSEB 5100D!